Teeth are an essential part of our health and overall presentation. Although they may be hidden behind lips and cheeks, they are among the first things that make an impression when communicating with others face-to-face. They can have an influence not only on your health but on your social recognition as well. Having white and healthy teeth that are vividly well taken care of is a sign of good oral hygiene, a small part of our daily routine that can have an extraordinary influence in our lives in the long-term.
Teeth whitening is a popular procedure that attracts the interest of many people around the world. People of different ages use a wide variety of teeth whitening solutions to ensure they keep their teeth in excellent condition, both from a health and beauty perspective. But why is this procedure necessary in the first place? Aren’t all teeth supposed to be white in the first place?
In this article, we will introduce you to some of the main reasons for teeth discoloring or yellow teeth, look at some of the reasons why you may want to consider teeth whitening as an option, and finally suggest ways in which you could achieve this.
What makes your teeth turn yellow?
Unfortunately, there are more factors that cause teeth discoloration than such that keep your teeth white. If you’re aware of some of the habits that can turn your teeth yellow you will be able to make changes in your lifestyle where possible to eliminate some of the ones that are risky for your teeth.
Here are some of the main things that cause yellow teeth:
- Smoking – Apart from its other negative influences on the body, smoking also affects the teeth. If you are a regular smoker who wants to have white teeth maybe it is time to reconsider your smoking habits. The stains created as a result of smoking are among the more difficult ones to handle. There are solutions that you can try, which we’ll share below.
- Coffee – Isn’t it great to wake up with a fresh cup of coffee? Despite the joy from this enriching liquid, coffee, as well as tea and wine, contains tannins or polyphenol particles. This substance leads to color compounds to attach to your teeth, changing the color.
- Certain health conditions – There are a range of health conditions and illnesses that may also result in yellow teeth. In some cases, the reason is the condition itself, while in other cases the medications are the actual causes. For instance, chemotherapy or asthma and high blood pressure medications can cause teeth discoloring.
- Poor hygiene – Of course, we shouldn’t forget about poor oral hygiene as the main factor behind the undesired scenario of white teeth. Lack of consistency in brushing and flossing your teeth can trigger the frightening yellow color of the teeth.
- Fluoride – Fluoride can be very risky for the condition of the teeth, especially to children. Exposing your children to this substance excessively may make them struggle with the issue of discolored teeth from an earlier stage in their lives.
- Specific food intake – While some types of food are great for the build-up and stability of teeth, others can be detrimental. Yellow teeth are usually a result of regular intake of foods rich in tannins, including soda, wine, tea, coffee, and others.
- Heredity – Believe it or not, sometimes discolored teeth as purely a heredity issue. However, there’s no need to worry as today, there are a rich variety of ways to handle this problem like a professional.
Why do you need teeth whitening?
Now that we’ve covered the reasons behind yellow teeth, it is time to move on to the reasons why someone may decide to whiten their teeth and bring back that gorgeous, celebrity smile.
For starters, one of the most fundamental reasons is related to the health condition of your teeth. Discolored or white teeth often indicate disruption of the normal state and balance of the tooth, potentially leading to a range of other long-term side effects. To avoid regular visits to the dentist, make sure your teeth are kept in perfect condition.
So let’s go into the reasons to get teeth whitening in more detail.
- To get that perfect smile you’ve been dreaming of – Eliminating any stains on your teeth will help you create a brilliant and mesmerizing smile that will be difficult to ignore. Especially if your lifestyle involves being in front of cameras or a lot of social communication, teeth whitening can be your ticket to success. Be more presentable and confident about your smile!
- For special occasions – If you’re planning to be part of a special occasion in the near future, teeth whitening is nearly a must. Weddings, class reunions, birthday parties, or other celebrations all have one thing in common – they all have us looking our best! A great way to make the day even more special is to show your teeth extra love by whitening them and providing them with an extra level of care.
- To look more presentable on job interviews – You may not have considered this a reason to get your teeth whitened but it does have its unique place in our list of reasons. Let’s be honest, one of the first things recruiters notice in candidates for job positions is the way they present themselves visually. Knowledge and experience may be of crucial importance but before you have the chance to show off your amazing skill set you will be assessed based on the way you look. Sure, a nice suit or dress can do the trick but a beautiful and clean smile indicates attention to detail and precision. If you are organized enough to take care of every detail of your body, chances are that you are well equipped to take on different tasks in the workplace.
- To communicate freely and confidently with others – Confidence can be spotted miles away and can work wonders in life. Personal hygiene is one of the factors that can boost our confidence in no time and can help us to communicate openly and comfortably with people of different ages, social circles, and positions in life. Oral hygiene is no exception. Whitening your teeth regularly means that your amazing smile can work its magic all day, every day.
- To prevent long-term tooth damage – We already mentioned that poor oral hygiene and unclean teeth can have a serious impact on your overall oral health condition. You could experience conditions such as cavities or can even suffer from gum problems if you fail to properly care for your teeth. Happily, today you can whiten your teeth at home, without the need for surgical intervention or the use of medicaments. We’ll show you how later on in this article so keep reading.
- To tackle ageing with higher self-esteem – Teeth discoloring is a natural part of ageing. Sure, you may be among the lucky ones who don’t struggle with this issue as much as others, but it is inevitable to notice a change in the condition of your teeth. Stay as active as you desire and continue having fun with friends, family, and co-workers by whitening your teeth and remaining confident about yourself.
- To quit smoking – Believe it or not, you may try teeth whitening if you are trying to quit smoking. Wondering how on Earth this could help? Well, for starters, after completing the procedure and noticing the drastic change in the way your teeth look and feel, you may be tempted to keep this feeling forever! Knowing that smoking will continue damaging your teeth and discoloring them to a dislikable shade, you are likely to want to eliminate the bad habits that are causing this effect.
What are the best ways to whiten your teeth?
Have you ever used a teeth whitening kit? Well, if you haven’t, we strongly advise you to give it a try!
Although there are numerous ways to get your teeth whitened, both with professional help and home-based, a complete teeth whitening kit is all you need to get quick and lasting results. Inside this kit, you will find a peroxide-whitening formula, which helps with the bleaching of the enamel of your teeth. In addition, the kit comes with gel-filled trays that will work their magic when placed in your mouth for seven to ten minutes.
Extremely easy to use, the trays have been designed with special attention to comfort. Their thermoform material guarantees that they will fit in your teeth just perfectly. You can use this product for up to 35 times, saving you time for additional purchases and visits to the dentist. And if you’re worried about what the experts have to say – there’s no need! The teeth whitening kit has been created and recommended by dentists.
We hope that after reading this article you feel more informed and confident about the tooth whitening procedure. Don’t waste another minute and get your teeth whitening kit for a brilliant smile!